( Test Bank)
Human Genetics 12th edition Edition Lewis Test bank
Author Name: Lewis
Whatsapp +1 (949) 734-4773
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the
1) Genetics is the study of 1)
A) how life originated.
B) variation of inherited traits.
C) how organisms reproduce.
D) how the environment causes disease.
2) In which choice are the entries listed from smallest to largest? 2)
A) Chromosome – genome – cell – DNA building block
B) Gene – cell – DNA – genome
C) DNA building block – RNA building block – protein
D) DNA building block – gene – chromosome – genome
3) The complete genetic material of an organism is its 3)
A) chromosome. B) phenotype.
C) genotype. D) genome.
4) The number of copies of our genome in most of our cells is ________. 4)
A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 4
5) An estimated ________ DNA base pairs comprise the human genome. 5)
A) 3.2 billion B) 32,000 C) 3.2 million D) 320,000
6) The field of ________ was founded in the 1970s to address moral issues and
controversies that arise in applying medical technology.
A) metaethics B) genetics
C) bioethics D) biotechnology
7) Variants of a gene are called 7)
A) phenotypes. B) alleles.
C) genotypes. D) single nucleotide polymorphisms.
8) Humans have ________ pairs of chromosomes. 8)
A) 38 B) 23 C) 32 D) 46
9) A change in a gene’s DNA sequence is a(n) 9)
A) mutation. B) genome. C) nucleotide. D) genotype.
10) In general, RNA molecules 10)
A) serve as messengers to allow the information in DNA to be used to construct
B) entwine with DNA molecules to encode proteins.
C) form double helices that encode DNA sequences.
D) comprise the chromosomes.
11) A genotype refers to 11)
A) the environmental components of a trait.
B) the alleles present in an individual.
C) the number of chromosomes that a person has.
D) expression patterns of certain genes.
12) A chart that displays paired chromosomes in order of size is a 12)
A) genotype. B) genome. C) karyotype. D) phenotype.
13) A human cell has 13)
A) 22 pairs of autosomes and one pair of sex chromosomes.
B) 23 pairs of autosomes and a pair of Y chromosomes.
C) 22 pairs of sex chromosomes and one pair of autosomes.
D) 23 pairs of autosomes.
14) The Y chromosome 14)
A) is present in all humans.
B) contains discontinuous DNA sequence.
C) is a sex chromosome.
D) forms the somatic cells.
15) Polydactyly is considered a Mendelian trait because 15)
A) it affects the stem cells.
B) it is caused by a single gene.
C) it is caused by linked genes.
D) it is caused due to environmental factors.
16) Which of the following traits is considered Mendelian? 16)
A) A trait which is multifactorial
B) A trait which is caused by a single gene
C) A trait which is caused by environmental factors
D) A trait which is caused by linked genes