Book Name:Organic Chemistry
Author Name: Francis Carey
File Type: PDF or Word
Organic Chemistry, 11e (Carey)
Chapter 1 Structure Determines Properties
1) What is the ground state electron configuration of carbon?
2) Which of the following has (have) the same electron configuration as Ne?
Na− Mg2+ O2− Mg+
A) Na− and O2−
B) Mg2+ and O2−
C) Mg+ and O2−
D) only Mg2+
3) What is the letter designation given to dumbbell shaped orbitals like the one depicted below?
4) Predict which bond is the most polar in ethanol, CH3CH2OH.
5) What can be said about the polarity of the C=O bond?
A) C and O have the same electronegativity; the bond is nonpolar
B) the C=O bond is polar; the O atom bears a partial negative charge
C) the C=O bond is nonpolar; the C atom bears a partial positive charge
D) the C=O bond is polar; the C atom bears a partial negative charge
6) In which of the following compounds would you expect Cl to have a partial positive charge?
7) In which of the following does hydrogen have a partial negative charge based on electronegativity?
8) What is the formal charge on the carbon atom?
9) What is the formal charge on the oxygen atom in the structure below?
10) What is the formal charge on the nitrogen atom in the structure below?