Stress, Health and Well-Being
( Test Bank)
Edition: 1st Edition
Author Name: Victoria) Harrington
Whatsapp +1 (949) 734-4773
- Walter Cannon’s term ____ refers to the biological self-regulation process that enables an organism to adapt to life’s demands.
|a.||dynamic organism feedback||c.||homeostasis|
|b.||physiological stress reactions||d.||fight-or-flight reaction|
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: What is Stress?
- Selye did not believe that all stress was negative. In fact, he referred to negative stress as ____ and coined the term ____ to refer to positive stress.
|a.||distress, eustress||c.||threat, challenge|
|b.||eustress, uplift||d.||distress, wellness|
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: What is Stress?
- The idea that chronic stressors can be detrimental to one’s health was formalized by the stress research pioneer Hans Selye, who proposed a three stage model of chronic stress called the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS). The three stages of the GAS are ____.
|a.||fight-or-flight, alarm, and resistance|
|b.||alarm, exhaustion, and relaxation|
|c.||fight-or-flight, resistance, and exhaustion|
|d.||alarm, resistance, and exhaustion|
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: What is Stress?
- Holmes and Rahe created an instrument called the Social Readjustment Rating Scale (SRRS) to measure life change events. In their model of stress, higher life change event scores for the last six months to a year indicate a person has a greater likelihood of ____.
|a.||suicidal behavior||c.||living a shorter lifespan|
|b.||developing an illness||d.||pessimism|
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: What is Stress?
- In the ____ model of health, the sick person may be seen as a victim but may also be viewed as having contributed to the illness through engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: What is Health?
- ____ , inspired by Sigmund Freud’s idea that repressed memories and intrapsychic conflict can lead to somatic conversions expressed as physical symptoms, broke rank with the conventional medical thinking of the time and became one of the first medical areas to challenge the mind-body duality aspect of the biomedical model.
|c.||Somatic interpretation of physical agents|
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: What is Health?